Now onto a few thoughts, spoiler alert!
Some thoughts:
The thing I love the most about this series is Stephanie. She's really a normal girl who is really smart. In all kinds of situations I keep on expecting her to kick ass, but she's not. Perfect from the start, that is. She's even more amazing as a result. In fight scenes, I keep on expecting her to punch here, kick here, be that character that always knows how to attack and win. She ducks down and slides underneath the jumping attacker instead and when she's in front of a huge wicked, slimy mouth and instead of running away from the tentacles its sprouting, she runs at it, uses the lip for some spring and grabs the rocky ledge above.Skulduggery--I think this quote, one of the most memorable ones, where Serpine catches him really shows his character.
"Well, Skulduggery? Where is that tired old defiance--the taunting, the goalding? Where are the endless heroic cliches? Aren't you going to look me in the eye and tell me to do my worst?"
“Actually, I was going to ask that you go easy on me; I’m feeling kind of tender today."
“This is your one chance. Tell me where the key is."
"Okay.”
S-- raised an eyebrow. “Really?”
“No, only joking. Do your worst.”
I really like the introduction of new magic. There are tons of different types but the way they are revealed is usually interesting and I just love how large of a variety there is. There are two main types, elemental and adept. Adepts can include so many different types that it's weird.
List of Powers
- teleportation
- seers
- warlock (eat souls to be virtually indestructible)
- necromancy
- scientific (if you go into computer tech you become the computer)
- physical (Tanith/whatever the cleavers have/Bliss)
- symbols
- children of the moon (spiders)
- werewolves
- persuaders
- break bones with a touch
- travel through the ground
- vampires
- zombies
- banashee
- remnants
And I can keep all of these straight in my head. Landy manages to introduce a world through the eyes of a normal teenager. It's introduced so seamlessly, it becomes fun to learn about the magical world from the detective. Especially when he throws some sarcasm in. ;)


0 comments:
Post a Comment